PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Tuesday, March 1, 2011

In A Word: Cheap


I'm a member of NaBloPoMo  (National Blog Posting Month)  The goal is to write a blog post every day, and each month, there is a theme.  The theme for March is In A Word.  I went to a site called One Word to get my word for the day.  Today, the word is Cheap.


This isn't as easy as it looks!!!  It's making me wonder.... am I a cheapskate?  In some ways, yes.  That's because my job makes it so.  My lifestyle is much more modest than it was when I was married.  I can no longer afford to get a new car every few years.  My car is 8 years old, runs well, but I keep full insurance coverage on it because, if I get in an accident, I'd need to be able to replace it.   I can't shop at Macy's and stores like that any more, but that's okay.    JC Penney works for me.  


I have one major credit card.  I've learned to only buy things when I can afford them.  


I manage to be able to go to the beach for a week each year.  John and I save all year and my friend rents her little place in Ocean City, MD to us in the fall for about $250 for the week.  I can't afford to go in summer when my friend has to charge full price, but tSeptember is lovely and warm!  I don't really swim in the ocean any more, but I love going to the beach and taking a nap do some reading and people watching.  


In other ways, I agree with the term "You get what you pay for".  I rarely buy store brand foods.  I can tell the difference between name brand frozen veggies (and other products) and the store brand equivalent.  I discovered years ago that even if you shop in a quality department store, like Macy's, if you buy something that says "Special purchase", it's usually cheap items to get you into the store.   Clothing loses it's shape or will shrink or fall apart or fade easily.  Better to spend the money and get a product that will last a few years.  


What I really hate are people who come into the restaurant and have no problem spending money on themselves, but are real cheapskates when it comes to tipping. We've been overrun with folks who got their taxes done and use their refund card to treat themselves to a nice meal but then leave a really lousy tip.  Soon tax season will be over and they can all go back to eating at McDonald's.  


I had 2 women who came in yesterday.  They both ordered Baby Back Ribs.... NOT the half rack.  Just the ribs.  When you say ribs, I think full rack.  When the bill came, they had an issue with paying $38 for their 2 orders of ribs (which they took home with them when they couldn't eat all of it).  They assumed I'd order the half racks for them. (I'm not psychic.  If you want a half rack of ribs, you need to tell me)  They talked my boss into crediting them for the half racks.  They tipped me fairly, but these women own a restaurant of their own!  And their place is NOT inexpensive!!  I think they knew exactly what they were doing.  They paid for 2 half racks of ribs and went home with a full rack FOR FREE!!!  Cheap bitches.  You can be damned sure I will not be going to their restaurant.


So there you have it.  My take on the word CHEAP.

13 comments:

Bill Lisleman said...

Maybe those two women should be stretched on the rack. You and your boss should try the same trick at their place.

Corinne said...

I hate people who play the system. You made the mistake, pay for it.

Garret said...

Do people order water with lemon and try to make lemonade?

Joanie said...

Yes, Garret! They actually DO!!!

Ice Queen said...

If they own a restaurant then they definitely did it purposely. They knew that your manager would definitely credit them. It's the world of retail and restaurants...give them what they want and hope they leave quickly.

Amy said...

I don't think you sound cheap. I think you sound realistic and frugal. Which probably is a much happier way to be than indulgent and in debt.

linlah said...

When I do the expense report for one of the guys I work with I cringe at how cheap he is when tipping, he's cheap.

Joanna Jenkins said...

As soon as I saw the word "CHEAP" an old boyfriend's face flashed before my eyes. He was cheap AND a jerk ;-)

As for the ladies chowing down on their free ribs-- Shame on them. I wonder if they'll be as generous when a customer tries to stiff them for a meal. Grrr.

xo jj

gayle said...

Those two knew what they were doing!! How sad that people act like that!

That Janie Girl said...

That is stupid. They should be banned.

doreen said...

You can almost forgive stupid people that do not realize servers work for tips...but those that know and are that mean...karma is a bitch.
Do you find sometimes that less off people often tip better than well to doers?
I used to manage a diner and that seemed to be the case there.

Anonymous said...

Joe and I are BIG tippers. If the service is lousy, we tip 15%, if the service is fantastic, they're going to get 20% plus. Life is hard for all of us, but a waitress should have something to show for being on her feet all day besides blisters.

Classic NYer said...

Do people order water with lemon and try to make lemonade?

Well, you know what they say: "when life gives you lemons..."

But seriously though, folks... I feel like I have to come to the defense of cheapskates, because we're not all Ebenezer Scrooge... some of us just can't afford things, and so we're reduced to buying clothes that don't hold their shape and then wearing them like we meant it to look that way... I'm just saying.