Tuesday, September 28, 2010

OCMD Vacation Day 2

Monday, September 20, 2010
Sunny, 82 degrees, light breezes

Monday was a beach day.  On Assateague Island.  Where the wild horses roam freely.

We started off with breakfast at home.  Multigrain Cheerios and watermelon.  And coffee.  Always start my day with nice black coffee, no sugar.  John doesn't do coffee.  Ever.  He had Ruby red grapefruit juice.

I packed a picnic lunch to take to the beach.  Ham and provolone sandwiches on whole wheat bread with mustard and  turkey and provolone on whole wheat with mayo.  Grapes, some Nacho Cheese Doritos, water for me, green tea for John.

A few years ago,we bought this cabana thingy.  It's a pain in the rear to put up.  John insisted I pack it.  It was quite windy on the beach.  We didn't have much luck.  I was getting pissed. I wanted to just forget it and toss the stupid cabana in the trash.  John was getting more determined than ever to put the damned thing up so he could be out of the sun.  Then, one of the tabs that is used to help anchor it to the ground tore off.  It was all I could do not to roll on the ground laughing!   I wish I had my camera out to get pictures of this, but I was supposed to be helping John put the cabana up.

So we set up our chairs and enjoyed the sun.  There were no lifeguards on the beach.  Swim at your own risk.  The riptides from Hurricane Igor made the surf so rough, only surfers were in the water.

That was ok, though.  I don't swim in the ocean any more because fish f*** in it  I have a healthy fear and respect for the ocean.  Plus the lifeguards had to fish me out when I was 15.   I normally don't go past my waist any more.  Now I get my feet wet and that's about it.  The water was certainly warm enough to swim!

We didn't see any dolphins this year.  I think the riptides kept them too far out for anyone to see them.  I was disappointed.

We hung out for a couple of hours, people watching.  I forgot to put sumblock on my legs.  They got burnt.  John didn't.  He wore long pants.  He refuses to wear shorts, ever.  He's stubborn like that.  Still, it was nice to sit and read and watch the people go by.   This picture of me is awful, but there are very few taken of me.  It's also my inspiration to get my ass back on Nutrisystem and stay there!

Once we packed up our stuff, we rode around the island in hopes of seeing some wild horses.  We didn't see any in the State Park, but we drove to the National Park.  We didn't go in because they wanted $15 for the week, and we knew we could hang out at the State Park for $3 a day.  So we turned around.  On the way back, we saw a LOT of wild horses!  Look for yourself!  They were awesome!

 There was also a LOT of herons!  We usually would see one or two, but that day, we found a flock!

We headed on back to the house, took a nap and then went out for dinner.  I asked my friend, Fran some suggestions for dinner.  We were trying to avoid the chain restaurants and wanted to stick with privately owned places.  I'm glad we did!

We ate dinner at a place called The Shark On The Harbor in West Ocean City (aka the mainland).   We really liked this place!  Lots of windows, so you can see the boats in the marina and boats on the water.  It was dark when we went  so you really can't see anything. 

We didn't get an appetizer or salad before dinner, but I might have had room for dessert afterwards.

I had the Granny Smith's Bleu Cheese Topped Filet, a filet
mignon topped with a walnut and bleu cheese pate and 
caramelized Granny Smith apples and red onions.It came with lobster mashed potatoes and zucchini and squash.

I treated myself to a Raspberry Mojito.  It was pretty good.  I bet a margarita would have been better thoughh.

John had one of the Specials of the night, a Voodoo Surf and Turf, which was crab and filet mignon with andoullie sausage in a creamy Creole Alfredo.  It also came with zucchini and squash. 

 Both dishes were excellent (and not inexpensive), but what the heck!  We were on vacation and it was the day before my birthday!

I finished off with a marble cheesecake with a chocolate crumb crust.  Oddly, I didn't take a picture of the dessert.    It was yummiful, though!

So far, each night, we've hit the sheets by 10:30 pm.  That fresh air just kicked our butts!!

OH!  I forgot to add that John tossed a grape to a sea gull who seemed to hang out with us on the beach.  I said, "NO!!!  They'll come from miles around as soon as you give one some food!"  Sure enough, within seconds, there were FIFTY (I counted) seagulls hovering over our heads, calling for food!  Sheesh.  Men.

Tomorrow??  My birthday and a trip to Cape May!


slommler said...

Wow!! Beautiful place to enjoy the sun and sea! And the horses were magnificent!! Your dinners sounded divine!!! Lobster mashed potatoes huh? Sounds decadent!!
Happy Birthday and enjoy Cape May!

Martha in PA said...

I am so happy you had a wonderful vacation. We need to get to Asseteague.... all the trips we made to OCMD before Tara was born, we never went there....

Garret of Jim and Garret said...

By the way, I LOVE your new header photo and can't wait to see more pics!

Love the horses!

Captain Dumbass said...

All that food talk is making me hungry.

Heather said...

Oh what a beautiful day and those wild horses are amazing. Love your pics! Still laughing at Johns mistake with the seagulls!