PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Sunday, June 19, 2011

Reading Challenge Updates

I'm in the middle of 3 reading challenges for this year.  I'm making some progress, especially since I'm down with a lousy cold and I'm home trying to get well.  I seem to have lots of time to get some reading done!




I have a general reading challenge, called The Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2011. The Book Vixen is hosting this challenge! Click on the link to check her out!  I'm keeping track of the books I've finished here. Outdo Yourself Challenge.  So far, I have 29 books listed on this challenge. My hope is to read 100 books this year (I read 65 in 2010)  I'm not sure if I can get to 100, but I'm sure going to try! 




This next challenge is a James Patterson Reading Challenge.  It goes from September 1, 2010 to August 31, 2011.  I have to say I have read  far more James Patterson books than I have listed on my challenge.  Yvonne at Socrates Book Review is hosting this one!  The thing I like about reading James Patterson is he also introduces you to new writers.  At least one writer that I know of, Andrew Gross,  has gone on to write fabulous books on his own!  I just finished reading Gross's The Blue Zone and it was great!!  Couldn't put it down!  Anyway, I'm halfway through the JP Challenge, having read 8 of the 16 books I have listed.  Check them out by clicking on the link!




And last, but not least, I have the Nicholas Sparks Reading Challenge.  This challenge is also hosted by The Book Vixen.  Until I started reading these books, I never read a Nicholas Sparks book, or seen any of his movies.  I'm not a big Romance book fan, but these aren't like the romance novels I've read in the past.  I thought I'd do my best to see if I could read all of the 16 books Nicholas Sparks has written.  I have finished 5 of them.  To be honest, I've been listening to these on audio, in my car.  My list of all his books, and the ones I"ve finished, crossed out, can be found here.  I've discovered that I do like his books! 


In the past year, I have discovered many new writers (and some old favorites) that I really enjoy reading!   You can Google them to see what they've written.  I'm listing them below.  Please check them out!


Sarah Pekkanen
Maryann McFadden
Tamera Lawrence
John Grisham
Claire Cook
Amy Hatvany
Paul Levine
Lisa Scottoline
Janet Evanovich
Tess Gerritsen
Andrew Gross
Elin Hilderbrand
Stieg Larsson
Patricia Cornwell
Sue Grafton
and so many more that I have yet to discover!


So, what authors do you love?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Tess Gerritsen! And Karen SLAUGHTER is the name of the other author I eat up. Her books have enough autopsies and gore to keep me glued to the book.

Right now I'm reading Cornwell's The Scarpetta Factor and I got disappointed. I counted 20 pages all regarding how to fly a helicopter. I think I'm now a qualified pilot.

I used to love Koontz, but it seems he's throwing all his old manuscripts out to be published since they're now rather pre-pubescent in their writings and rather dull and standard fare.

Anonymous said...

Joanie, thank you for the advice about the asshat commentor that has been coming to your blog. It's neat that you can do a google and not only find out who it is, where they live, but did you also know you can do a full-spectrum search if you own one of the "pay as you go" credit and history search programs? VERRRRY interesting. I'll mail it to you.

It's amazing once you start digging and find out exactly who/what you're dealing with.

That Janie Girl said...

Girl - 100 books? I wonder if I can do that? Hmmm...I'll try.

gayle said...

I love most of the same authors that you do. Love Nicholas Sparks!