It's after 3 am and I just got home from the hospital. Before John went to work today, he was feeling very very cold. It was roughly 75 degrees outside and the sun was HOT! John put on thermal underwear (top and bottom) under his uniform, then a tee shirt and his work shirt and pants and a knit cap on his head and he was STILL cold! He went to work and asked if anyone else was cold and his boss made him go home.
John took his temp and it was 100.7. Anyone else would take a few Tylenol and go take a nap. Not so with cancer patients. If your temp goes to 100.5 or higher, they want to see you, pronto! Fortunately John didn't take any chances and drove himself to the ER. Not the one at HUP, but his local hospital only 20 minutes away. (Matty, he's at Abington Hospital) At that time of day, it would have taken John 2 hours to get to Philly and HUP.
He was in the ER from about 4 pm to nearly midnight. They wanted him in ICU but we had to wait for a bed. A little past midnight, they got him up there and I was sent out of the room so they could examine him. They are afraid of infection. They took all kinds of blood and urine tests and I guess we have to wait for morning to get results. They did give him some antibiotics via IV while he was in the ER.
By the time I left it was after 1:30 am. My plan was to stay at John's apartment since it's only 20 minutes or so from the hospital, but I remembered I saw the cats' food thing was just about empty this morning, so I had to go all the way home and pick up cat food on the way. I live an hour or so from the hospital. If John is still in the hospital tomorrow night, I'll stay at his place.
I can't believe he's now spiking fevers! This was supposed to happen a few days after transplant, not on Day 28! Hopefully, this isn't serious and he can go home soon. I also wonder if his oncologist will want him transferred to HUP. I guess I'll learn more in the morning. I called out of work for tomorrow. If John was in a regular room, I'd have gone to work and gone to visit him after. But with him being in the ICU, I feel better being there.
Anyway, I'll probably have an update in a day or so. If I stay at John's tomorrow night, I won't have internet access. I'll post when I can.