PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Saturday, February 21, 2009

Girls' Night Out

Last night was my Girls' Night Out with my friend, Kathy. Kathy and I are like Mutt and Jeff. She is about 5' 10" and I'm 5' maybe. We met years ago when our boys were in 1st grade together. They're now 21 year old men (oh God! It's hard to wrap my brain around that!), well, Tim will be next month. Anyway, I used to like Kathy a lot more, when she was a big girl. But her doctor told her 2 years ago that her liver was so fatty, if she didn't cut out the fat, she'd need a liver transplant and that woke her up. Now that bitch is 75 lbs lighter, she looks 15 years younger and I'm still round. (glad she doesn't read my blog! LOL)

We try to get together once in a while for dinner and a movie, sometimes at my house and sometimes out. Last night we met at Max and Erma's for dinner and then we went across the parking lot to Regal theater and saw He's Just Not That Into You.

Dinner was good. I had a Chocopeppermintini and she got rum and coke. Then we shared a quesadilla and each had a dinner salad. Good food, good service, nice waitress. I think I'd have liked that drink more if it didn't have the peppermint.

So off we go to the movie and it was a funny, true-to-form look at the lives of young (ish) men and women, looking for (or avoiding) love. Lots of "names" in this movie. Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly, Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, a few faces I know but the names escape me (You know... the guys who are in a lot of stuff but you can never remember their names... doesn't matter as long as they're working, right?) The movie is somewhat predictable and that's ok. It's a chick flick. I'm not going to say anything specific about the movie. Don't want to ruin anything if y'all want to see it. I did like the movie a lot! It was very entertaining!

Speaking of chick flicks, there were a few guys in the theater and I had to laugh, thinking, do they know what they're getting into? Are they here in the hopes of getting laid later because they sat through this movie? Trying to impress a new date maybe? The fellow in front of us, as the credits were rolling, kept asking his movie companion, "Can't we go now?" LOL He was a good sport, I guess.

I don't ever ask John to go to these movies with me. That's what girlfriends are for. He goes to the Hobby Shop on Friday nights to play Dungeons and Dragons and I do the chick flick thing. This is good because he'd LOVE for me to go to the Hobby Shop with him and play D & D, but uh... no. BORING!!!!!! I'd rather have root canal.

There are some movies that could be considered chick flicks that he likes, but they are older movies, like Roman Holiday and An Affair to Remember.

He's very lucky that I like action, adventure, sci-fi, espionage, war movies. Last year, we went to see the newest Rambo movie (4? 5?). The story itself was ok, I guess, but it was so graphically violent (i.e. a guy got shot and his head exploded.... much like graphic novels or mature-rated video games). Halfway through the movie, I leaned over and whispered, "You owe me 2 chick flicks." He chuckled and he knew there was no way he was getting out of this one! So a few weeks later, I made him watch Must Love Dogs and Under The Tuscan Sun. (I love Diane Lane!) He thought they were ok, but it's gonna be while before I can get him to watch another one any time soon!

Some other movies I saw recently that I thought were very good were Taken with Liam Neeson, Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood (he does grouchy old man soooo well!!). We have plans to see The International soon and there's a lot of good stuff coming out (Harry Potter, Star Trek, Transformers, X-Men) did I mention I really like the movies based on comic books? and any John Wayne movie? a secret guilty pleasure is any Elvis Presley movie too. LOL

So what movies have you seen lately? want to see? hated? Inquiring minds want to know!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun night. When my husband and I were dating, we never could agree on a movie. So we took turns choosing. We were both miserable with each other choices.

John is a good sport. :)

That Janie Girl said...

Hey, girl.

ThatManILove loved "He's Just Not That Into You."

He thought it was cute.

Pseudo said...

I haven't seen any movies not on Netflix in a long time. If I could go, I'd see The Wrestler, Milk, Doubt,and the one in your post.

Glad you had such a good time!

Anna Lefler said...

I want to see "He's Just Not That Into You." One that I saw lately and thought was fascinating was the documentary "Man on Wire" about the French guy who wirewalked between the WTC towers back in the 70s. It was great!

Have a great weekend!

:^) Anna

Boozy Tooth said...

Root canal! LOL, that was too funny. Larry and I don't go to the movie theater anymore. Last couple movies were ruined by rude people on cellphones (not just cell phones ringing, but actual conversations! WTF?) and film reel troubles so bad the lights came up in the theater during the middle of the movie. No thanks. Now we rent our movies on NetFlix and OnDemand through our cable company. The food's cheaper at home too. By the way... I love Diane Lane too. Under the Tuscan Sun was a wonderful movie - especially if you've been to the Tuscana region of Italy. Your post reminded me of how lucky I've been. You're lucky too... Nothing in the world beats true love and an occasional Girl's Night Out.

Love ya!

Elenka said...

Gads...I think Little Mermaid was the last movie I saw!
I gotta get out more....

Lynne said...

Joanie, Just catching up on some older ramblings...re: income tax-- for the first time EVER Frank and I actually owe the government money!!! Can you believe that? Wahhhh! I blame Joey...since he's a National Guardsman Weekend Warrior Mallet Player (extraordinaire) we don't get to claim him or the Hope credit! You should be able to get that Hope credit for Dani....that's money right off the top.
ttys,
Lynne

Vodka Mom said...

movie? What the hell is a movie????

I WISH i had the time.

xoxo

Joanie said...

Janie, TMIL is an enlightened soul! You are very lucky. :)

Lynne, Oh! An update! I re-did my turbotax and got $291 back, not the $111 I originally came up with.

Alix, I need more GNOs. I've been trying to get together with my friend, Tina but she's too busy with her married boyfriend and the loser drunk guy she won't drop. This girl needs a smack upside her head! (for the married ass if nothing else)

Michelle said...

Have you seen The Women?
Cute movie!

Joanie said...

Michelle, yes, I've seen The Women and I loved it! I also have the original with Joan Crawford and others from 1939. I liked the re-make better.