Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Spin Cycle: Summer Time! : Ocean City, MD
For the past few years, I've been vacationing, the 3rd week of July, in Ocean City, MD. My good friend and former neighbor, Fran rents her summer place, aka Smith Housita to me for a very good, low low price.
This year, I just couldn't get the money together, so I had to cancel. I'm hoping John and I can go this September, before he goes back to work after undergoing his chemo treatments. I think when it's all said and done, we're going to NEED a few days away for rest and relaxation and picnics on the beach! Fran gives me real sweet deal when we rent in the autumn, after the season ends.
But the other 3 years we used the place, it was great! Fran and her hubby bought this place as their summer vacation home. They would go down all summer and on weekends before and after "the season". They liked it so much, they sold their home here in PA and bought a year-round house in MD, just about 2 miles from their summer place.
The housita, as she likes to call it, is in a gated community on the mainland just a few miles from Ocean City. There's a lake with paddle boats for your pleasure, 2 large pools (one at each end of the development), a fishing and crabbing dock, rec center for the kids. The house has 2 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, 1 bath and a laundry room.
The thing I like best is it's only about 5 miles from Ocean City beaches and boardwalk and 5 miles in the other direction from Assateague Island. We usually go swimming at Assateague. Parking is free and abundant (well, actually you pay $10 per car-load per week.. parking in Ocean City is $10 minimum each time you go, unless you luck out and find a spot on the street). It's not overly-crowded and you share the beach with the wild ponies!
Driving through the island is really cool! The ponies seem to be everywhere! The campers have to be careful to store their food well or the horses get in the tents and eat all the food!
So, I'll be socking a few dollars away each week for next summer. I'm not missing out on my week at the beach any more!
And I'm going to steal my good friend, Pseudo's idea and give you 10 things I plan to do this summer. Unfortunately, I can't take the summer off, like she can (she's a teacher) but I'm sure I can find 10 things to do.
1. Read as many good books as I can.
2. Take John to U of PA for his chemo treatments and be as upbeat as I possibly can.
3. Go to Longwood Gardens before the chemo starts and John still has his strength .
4. Have picnics at Peace Valley Park on Sundays (doesn't' the name of the park make you feel good?)
5. Go to Dorney Park for the Wildwater Kingdom and have lots of water slide fun!
6. Eat Rita's Water Ice (sugar free of course) as often as possible.
7. hang out at the pool at John's apartment.
8. Take naps at said pool.
9. Do as many little day trips as we can. Lots of museums and parks to see.
10. Sleep in on Sundays. oh, wait, I do that now!
For more spins on summer plans, head on over to Sprite's Keeper.