PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday


(this cartoon is for you, Alix)


Today was Black Friday.  Technically it's still black Friday, but I'm home, nice and cozy in my warm house, with my shoes off, a diet coke at hand and the remnants of a turkey sandwich nearby.  I'm not going ANYWHERE!


My daughter, Dani works in an outlet mall, at a clothing store.  She was scheduled to work midnight to 9 am this morning.  She left for work with 40 minutes to spare.  Dani knew she needed extra time to find a parking spot.  Well, that kid drove around and around (and this is a HUGE outlet mall!) looking for a place to park.  She had to call work to tell them she was there but couldn't find a parking spot.  They told her to keep trying.  She drove around for over an hour!!!  NO spots!!  Dani finally drove home, got a friend to drive her back in to work,  it was after 1:30 am.    They asked Dani to work until 10 instead of 9, which was good because it made up for the time she lost in the middle of the night.  By morning, the craziness had eased off, and I was able to find a spot near her store and wait for her (thank goodness for audio books!  got one finished!).  A few minutes past 10 she came out.

The traffic, in the middle of the night, for the outlet mall was backed up for about 10 miles on a major highway! (Matty and Martha, this was the outlets in Sanatoga, just off 422.  I heard 422 was backed up to Oaks!)


As we were driving home, a fellow from work calls me and asks if I'm coming to work today.  "Of course I am, Greg!  Do you need a ride?"  I ask him.  He says, "No, but you're supposed to be here at 10 this morning."  OOPS!!!  So I had to get moving and go in as soon as I dropped Dani off at home.  It turned out OK in the end.  The ones who were in at 9 am didn't get tables until after 10:30 and I got one at 11, so it was all good.  Once we got past 11 am (when we normally open), it was busy all day.  I made very good tips all day (my last table gave me $20 on a $53 check!  I wish ALL my tables were that generous today!)


I did run across the hall before leaving today and I bought my daughter a pair of yoga pants she was looking at.  I RARELY go into the mall when I'm working.  I come in from the parking lot straight into our store and I leave the same way!

10 comments:

Pseudo said...

You are a brave woman and a good mom to brave the mall today Joanie. Very happy about your good tipps day!

Joanie said...

I didn't have a choice, Pseudo! I was scheduled to work!

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Great cartoon! I started at Toys R Us at midnight! Luckily, we found parking pretty close.

linlah said...

You're brave to go out for any reason on Black Friday.

Bill Lisleman said...

craziness - who is paying who to hype up black friday??? - I didn't go near a store BUT had plenty of frustration shopping online - waiting hours for a confirmation then the order is canceled. Have we all gone nuts?

Martha said...

My cousin sat in that traffic for two hours to get to the outlets!

Totally crazy - I am sorry, shopping is not a "sport" for me, so there is NO sale (even FREE) that would make me want to do that!

We did not shop, but went to the movies. It too was packed. I have never had trouble finding a parking spot at Franks!

Joanie said...

John and I often go to Frank Theater!

Mike said...

You couldn't pay me enough to go out in that crap!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Not in a million years! I have never done "black Monday" and I never will. A ten mile back up on the freeway is insane! Yikes.

Hope your upcoming week is great!
xo

mo.stoneskin said...

I have never done a "black friday" - not that we have them over here - and never will, I'd rather lock myself in a closet with Andrew Marr...