Friday, August 28, 2009

Day ZERO!!! Happy New Birthday John!

I sent John a message this morning to remind him that he wanted to get cleaned up before they did the transplant and he replied, "Too late, They've already started." The transplant itself was quick and painless and took only a few minutes. He was given his stem cells back and we wait and see what happens.

His white blood count is still not bad, but he was told his numbers will continue to drop for some days and he WILL be at zero WBC and then he'll be neutropenic. That means his immune system will be non-existent and he could pick up all kinds of infections and illnesses. Scary as hell, huh.

John was feeling pretty good today and even did 3 turns around the floor, pushing his IV pole with him. This afternoon, he was in the bathroom, cleaning up and changing PJs and stuff when he suddenly felt like he was going to pass out! Instead of calling for the nurse, he rinsed himself off, dried off, put on clean underwear and PJ bottoms, got into bed and THEN called the nurse!
(sheesh!! I guess I'm the only one who's allowed to see him naked!)

He said they all came running when he called! They drew blood from his catheter, drew blood from his arms, sent him down for x-rays, gave him more, stronger antibiotics. I was at work when he sent me the text message telling me about nearly passing out.

So now I'm at home because I need to get to bed earlier than normal because I'm driving with Dani to college tomorrow. It's a 4 or 5 hour trip each way. I'm going to need a lot of coffee to make that trip all in one day! (I'll write about that adventure in a few days)

So that's where everything stands for now. I think we were getting a little too confident that maybe he'd be getting out sooner than they said because his numbers were staying high and he wasn't getting side effects. Time will tell and we have to learn to be patient. I told John to expect a little bit of mail in the next week or so. hehehehehe!!! OH! I guess I should add that he can't have any fresh fruit or flowers and no latex balloons (but mylar are OK) I don't expect anyone to send anything other than a card, but ya never know!

Thanks so much for all the emotional support! It means more than you can ever know!


lisa said...

Good job, John!!!! The little girl in our school, who had this procedure done is doing great and it's going on 4 months. She still can't have much contact with anyone, but her health is improving. All positive news!

Jan said...

No, girl - it's good you said that about flowers and latex balloons.

Some of us might have been planning to send such things.

Janie at Sounding Forth said...

Good job, John! (And Joanie!)

Daria said...

Wishing John all the best ... hang in there.

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Wishing John the best and yay to you for getting the girl off to college.

Matty said...

Positive! Think Positive!

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Oh, poor John, waiting to do all that before calling the nurse. I'll bet they love him!

That is a long-ass trip to make in one day! Be careful. Drink coffee or sing or whatever you need to do!

dizzblnd said...

That is wonderful news! I am so glad to hear so far so good. Even his male stubbornness is a sign that he is in good spirits and is well on his way to recovery.

Nonetheless I will continue to pray.

Be careful on the trip to college. I',m there for you in spirit when you break down and cry!

((Joanie))))) to take with you and use as needed

Garret of Jim and Garret said...

Yay for birthdays!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Way to go john!

Maybe I should send him a gallon of Purell instead of cards. Zero immune system is scary.

Sending love, prayers and support.


Pearl said...

I admire your strength and humor.
Sending you love, Joanie.


Eternal Lizdom said...

Ditto Pearl- I, too, admire your strength and courage!