PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Friday, January 9, 2009

More hospitals sigh

John called me today to tell me the doctor wants him in the ER this afternoon after work because his blood sugar is out of control again. They need to get it back to good numbers before they'll do the surgery on Monday to remove his spleen.



On Tuesday he had his pre-op blood work done. His blood glucose level was 500+ (normal people have under 100) He just can't seem to get his diabetes under control! He takes 50 units of long-lasting insulin (Lantus), Metformin and Glimipiride every day, and still his numbers are in the 300s and sometimes even 400s. His doctor thinks he's converted from a type 2 diabetic to a type 1 (which means his pancreas is no longer making insulin... that's why all these meds aren't working) He needs more insulin or insulin more often in a day. As of tonight it was in the high 200s. I sure hope the endocrinologist talks to him tomorrow! I have been learning a LOT about diabetes in the past couple of years.


So his doc said he wanted him in the ER and probably would be admitted, which is exactly what happened. John sat in the ER (in a bed but still) from around 2 pm until just after 10 pm this evening when they finally got a bed for him. This is a really big hospital and it's amazing that they were that filled up that it took 8 hours to get him into a room! At 8 or so he asked if he could get something to eat... they never fed him!!!! The nurse got him a turkey sandwich then. It's a good thing he had lunch before he went to the hospital!

So now he's all settled in and his room mate is a big snorer!!! LOL GOOD! John kept me up half the night last night with his snoring! I forgot that I had ear plugs in the drawer.




The real pain for me is the hospital is 1 hour from my house! I just know I'm gonna be exhausted going from work to the hospital to home every night. I can stay at his apartment some of the nights, if I'm really tired. I just might do that. OH! And everyone calls me Mrs Russo. :) Everyone thinks we're married and we don't correct them.... it's easier that way.

11 comments:

Lilly said...

Oh you have a lot on your plate Mrs Russo (lol). Take Care and look after yourself. At least John is in safe hands where is is (as long as you take him some food by the sound of it). Thoughts and prayers are with you.

♥ Braja said...

Oh poor Joanie...I wish I *could* come and cook for you now...I'd look after you :) As Lilly said though, John's in safe hands with you :) Prayers are also with you....

Irish Gumbo said...

(hands on heart)
Sorry to hear this. Wishing you good luck, I'll send some good vibes your way. And maybe some earplugs :)

Garret said...

Wow, sounds like you need a care package! Precooked meals, ear plugs, sugar free candy, and a prenup.

Garret

Temple said...

I am keeping you guys in my thoughts! If I were like closer than 10 states away I'd bring you some fried chicken and milk shakes..true comfort food!

Joanie said...

UPDATE:
John's blood sugar was 140 tonight! Woo Hoo! We found out the surgeon CAN remove the spleen laproscopically, which is a lot less invasive. And he saw the endocrinologist today and she wants him to start giving himself injections before meals and then the long lasting insulin at bedtime. And he's definitely goign to have to cut out some of his carbs. I think that's the hardest thing for him to do! He loves his bread! Now if the tests on the spleen turn out to be NOT malignant, everything will be good!

Amy said...

Good news on the blood sugar. Here's hoping the surgery brings more good news.

Vodka Mom said...

good luck. We'll be thinking of him- and YOU.

Amy W said...

Good luck, Joanie! My thoughts are with you and John, hoping for a safe surgery on Monday and good results from the pathologist. Thank goodness he has you during this stressful time! Hang in there and download a good audiobook to listen to in the car-- it'll keep your mind from worry and make the time fly!

Joanie said...

Amy, There's no way I can listen to an audiobook while driving. I can drive or I can listen to the book! Thanks for the good wishes though!

Maureen said...

Hi Joanie, it sounds like things are going to work out ok. My thoughts are with you guys for a speedy recovery!! I hope JOhn learns to watch what he eats