Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One long-ass day

Today (well Monday... it's past midnight now) was one very long tiring day. Last night, I stayed at John's apartment because he's only about 20 minutes from the hospital and my house is an hour away. I didn't sleep well at all. When I'm home, I sleep with the TV on (a habit I developed when my ex left). John doesn't have a TV in his bedroom, but I sleep okay when he's there. Last night, of course, I was alone. I read way later than I wanted to because I was trying to get tired enough to fall asleep. I was wide awake at 5am, but managed to doze off again until about 6:20 when my younger kid texted me because she was staying home from school because she's sick (she really is... she sounds like crap) and I had to call school. So by 7 I was on the road to the hospital. John's surgery was scheduled for 8 am.

I arrived around 7:30 and I go to where the families wait while their loved ones are in surgery. The lady at the desk told me his procedure would be 3 hours, so the doctor would be out after 11 to talk to me. I discovered that the hospital has free internet access (YAY), so I went to my car and got John's laptop out. I mess around on the computer for a couple of hours and read for some hours. At 11:30 the doc comes out and tells me he's doing great, the surgery went well, no bleeding, blah, blah, blah. Whew!! Thank goodness everything went smoothly! I guess we'll know soon if the spots were malignant or not. It would be so cool if they are benign!!!

The doc told me that John would be in recovery for about 3 hours then he'd get a room. So the computer goes back into my car because I'm not lugging this thing all over the hospital (this place is HUGE!) And the doc also tells me if all goes well, John might be going home tomorrow (Tuesday) YAY!!!! So I grab a bit of lunch and settle down with my book because he's getting a room soon!

At 3:30 the nurse calls the waiting room to tell me John's doing great. He's sitting up , he's talking, some pain, no big deal. As soon as they get a room for him they'll call me. FINALLY, at 5:30 I get the call that's he's in a room. And luckily it's right upstairs and not all the way across the hospital. I was sitting in that waiting room for 10 hours! (not counting the runs to my car, quick trip to the caf, potty breaks from all the coffee I drank) I was afraid I'd have bed sores on my ass!

So I go up to see John. LOL!!! He's on a morphine drip and he's LOADED!!! He looked just like a junkie! He's sitting there, with the little button in his hand and every time the green light went on, he'd push it and get his little fix. And his eyes would roll up in his head and he'd start to slur his words. Believe me, it was a sight to behold. This is a man who has never been drunk in his life!!! Then he'd talk the poor nurse's ear off for a good 30 minutes. It's gonna be a long night for Steve the nurse.

I finished my book and had to run to the car to get another one to read (I got smart and threw 2 other books in there for this week. Otherwise, John would try to get me to read his political books (YAWN!!!).

So I hung around until a little past 9 pm, because I discovered if you stay until past 9, the parking attendant goes off duty and it costs $1 to get the car out of the lot instead of $7! And tonight it was free because the gate was up! So that was my exciting day! zzzzzzzzzzzz


Braja said...

I don't know about anyone else but I was riveted to this post until the last word. Maybe though that has everything to do with the fact that I think you rock :)

Liz said...

I love that you stayed at the hospital the entire time. I've known people who go just when things are supposed to camp out, be happening... I'd be one to camp out, too.

Glad it went well!!

Jim and Garret said...

Glad the pain is mild for John. Sad that your ass will hurt.

Happy about the parking, sad you cheated the system.

Glad you read more, sad you couldn't sleep.

Lilly's Life said...

Glad things went smoothly. And you sounded prepared and organised for the long wait at least. Morphone is interesting hey? Take Care and hope you get some sleep.

Alix said...

Joanie girl, sweetheart...

I'm thinking of you and John, and of course you are in my prayers. Have faith, think good thoughts, and rest. Both of you.

Love from the Sunshine State!

Joanie said...

LOL Garret! Well, I get to cheap the system some more because John was not released as we had hoped. They had to catherize him in the middle of the night because he couldn't pee. He's just beginning to get off the clear liquid diet too. So maybe tomorrow (Wednesday) maybe Thursday he'll go home.

Jim and Garret said...

Sad for John. The idea of something jambed up my, well you know, just sounds painful. The good news is you might be able to explain the similarity to child birthing to him. Just for the hell of it.