PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Monday, March 16, 2009

The Orange and The Green

In honor of St. Patricks' Day, for those of you conceived in a "mixed" marriage, I give you this little ditty.




Just in case you want to sing along or have a bit of trouble understanding the brogue, here are the lyrics:


CHORUS:
Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen. My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

My father was an Ulster man, proud Protestant was he. My mother was a Catholic girl, from county Cork was she. They were married in two churches, lived happily enough, Until the day that I was born and things got rather tough.

Baptized by Father Riley, I was rushed away by car, To be made a little Orangeman, my father's shining star. I was christened "David Anthony," but still, inspite of that, To me father, I was Willie, while my mother called me Pat.

With Mother every Sunday, to Mass I'd proudly stroll. Then after that, the Orange lodge would try to save my soul. For both sides tried to claim me, but i was smart because I'd play the flute or play the harp, depending where I was.

Now when I'd sing those rebel songs, much to me mother's joy, Me father would jump up and say, "Look here would you me boy. That's quite enough of that lot", he'd then toss me a coin And he'd have me sing the Orange Flute or the Heros of The Boyne

One day me Ma's relations came round to visit me. Just as my father's kinfolk were all sitting down to tea. We tried to smooth things over, but they all began to fight. And me, being strictly neutral, I bashed everyone in sight.

My parents never could agree about my type of school. My learning was all done at home, that's why I'm such a fool. They've both passed on, God rest 'em, but left me caught between That awful color problem of the Orange and the Green.

6 comments:

darsden said...

LOL Happy St. Patricks Day. Feel Better soon.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

I am the product of a mixed marriage. 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Irish. While I usually attribute all of my good qualities to my Italian heritage, I am quite awed by the power of my Irish anger!

The kids say, "Don't get mom's Irish up."
Yeah, not the best idea, kiddies...

The Retired One said...

This was very cute!
I saw your comment on Pearl's comments,and decided to stop by and take a read...I will add you as a favorite!
If you have a few minutes, I would love it if you would stop by my blog at http://www.myretirementchronicles.blogspot.com

If you like it, click on "follow this blog". I love to get new readers because I love to write and followers give me the incentive to keep blogging!
By the way, my name is Joan too and we are about the same age!!
Thanks!

Frogs in my formula said...

So cute! Happy St. Patricks Day.

Amy said...

Fun! Erin go bragh!

mo.stoneskin said...

Brilliant! Especially the green font :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog.