PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Totally Awkward Tuesday: The Birth Control Story

Today is Totally Awkward Tuesday! The lovely Tova Darling is the host of Totally Awkward Tuesday! If you want to join and post your own very funny story, check it out on Tova's Blog!

I wanted my daughter to put her own version of this story since it concerns her, but she says she didn't find it very awkward. So you're just getting my side of the story! LOL

When my daughter, Gina was a freshman in college, she had a steady boyfriend who was a junior at the same college, and he was a theatre major, like her. So they were spending a lot of time together. My husband and I were talking one night about whether we thought Gina should be taking birth control, because we didn't want her getting pregnant and possibly ruining any chance of her having an acting career. So we decided I'd go and talk to her about it.

So I call Gina up and invite her to go to breakfast with me. I drive to her school (she was only about 40 minutes from home) and we go to the local diner for breakfast. At the time, Gina didn't have her license, so she was pretty much a captive audience.

I start off with, "Your dad and I were talking..." And we were wondering if maybe it wasn't time for you to go on the pill. Now I don't know if you are sexually active, and if you're NOT sexually active, this is NOT permission for you to have sex! But if you want to go on the pill, we're ok with it." Whew! Got that out!

Gina is sitting there with what looked like stunned silence to me, so I just kept on talking! We're just being realistic. Your dad was 17 when he lost his virginity and I was 19. We figure it's better to be safe than sorry. We just want you to be safe. blah, blah, blah blah blah blah!

I can't remember everything I said. I just remember Gina not saying a word! So I just kept yammering on! Now silly me thinks my little girl went off to college a virgin. HA! I discovered (I think at a later date, but maybe it was that day) to my complete shock that it was her high school boyfriend in her senior year who was her first! Frankly, I didn't think he had it in him to do that! LOL

So, anyway, more yadda yadda, yadda from me, and Gina is still not giving up any information. Then it was time to take her back to school because she had a class. I told her if she wanted to start taking the pill, I'd make an appointment for her with a gyn doc.

So we drive back to school, and I pull up in front of the building where her next class is. She gets out of the car, and before she closed the door, she says, "You know that THING we were talking about? Yeah, I think I want to do that." And I say, "Oh, I didn't really want to know that, did I?" And she said, "No, but you started it." And with that, she closed the door and walked into her class!

I did make that appointment and took her to the lady doctor at my doctor's office. Then a few weeks later, she and that guy broke up!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I think I would've crawled under the table. Mother-daughter sex conversations are always awkward!

Unknown said...

IN MY DEFENSE... I do suffer from OHMYGODTHESECRAMPSHURTSOBADICANTMOVE. Which in all honesty one of the reasons why I wanted to look into it. One of them.

Pseudo said...

You are a brave mom.

Joanie said...

Yeah, that was Dad's delusion why you were on the pill. LOL
Am I a cool mom, or what!