PARASAILING WAS FUN!!!

I WONDER WHAT'S NEXT? ZIP LINING MAYBE???




Monday, March 23, 2009

The Shape of Things

Irish Gumbo had a great story this morning about how brilliant his daughter is, and it reminded me of something that happened about 23 years ago when my oldest child, Gina was a mere 2 years old. (and I bet Gina remembers this too!)

We had just moved to NJ several months before, into a new development. We were one of the first families in, so there was lots of construction going on all around us.

For a while, in the evenings, Gina and her dad would take a walk around the neighborhood, while I cleaned up from dinner or was preparing dinner. And on these little walks, they would find piles of stone and puddles of water and they'd toss the stones into the water. This became a daily ritual.

(I need to back track just a bit here) Gina had one of those Tupperware toys that all kids had... the ball with the shapes and you'd put the shape into the correct opening of the ball. So I taught Gina the names of all those shapes. This kid was so smart! She remembered the names of all those shapes, and there are 10 of them! (she could also say all her ABCs by 18 months and not only say them but could identify any given letter of the alphabet... but that's a story for another day)

OK, so back to the stones. So there is Gina and her dad tossing the stones into the puddle, and she picks one up and says, "Look Daddy! A trapezoid!" He was so shocked! He came rushing home to tell me that Gina knew this! He had no idea I had been teaching her the names of the shapes. Is my kid brilliant or what!

12 comments:

Captain Dumbass said...

Ha! I had one of those. So did my brother and sister. Hm. Wonder if it was the same one?

Joanie said...

Cap'n, most likely it was the same one! And Tupperware still makes them!

Sally's World said...

OMG, I had one of those..my mum still has it!!!

Boozy Tooth said...

Brilliant doesn't cover it. I still can't say Trapazoid!! You rock, Joanie. I love your blog.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

From the mouths of babes....

I still dont even know what a trapazoid is! ;)

Joanie said...

@Candy, a trapezoid is a 4 sided figure where the top is smaller than the bottom but the sides are the same size (Like a rectangle where the bottom got stretched out!)

skywind said...

When we overhear Children show the meaning and real close, we will be very shocked. :)
What is Really Healthy-Health Blog
Humor & Fun World-Funny Blog

Unknown said...

Yup. I'm a genius :)

The Retired One said...

I forgot about this toy... had one for my kids too. It was a great toy. I hope they still make them!

Queen Bee said...

That reminds me of something that happened today in school. I have to post it now.

mo.stoneskin said...

I've spent years searching for a trapezoid stone and never found one. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?!

Wendy said...

Kids are so amazing sometimes. How joyous and wonderful!